Human Rights

Arlington Human Rights in the News

In 2014, the Human Rights Campaign's Municipal Equality Index (MEI) gave Arlington a score of 96 (out of 100) in its evaluation of our community's laws and policies. The Index also examines how inclusive community services are of LGBT people. View the Arlington, VA scorecard.

Human Rights Complaints

The Office of Human Rights handles complaints of discrimination in the workplace, housing, and places of public accommodation if you live, work, or do business in Arlington. Here is a list of complaints/forms to file:

ADA Compliance

If you have a disability covered under the ADA, you're entitled to a reasonable accommodation should you need one. You can also file an ADA Grievance if you believe you have been discriminated against in County programs or services.

LEP, Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Title VI Compliance

The County provides interpretation and written translation for those with limited English Proficiency (LEP). The goal of the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy and Affirmative Action (AA) Plan is to promote equality in the workplace. The Arlington County Office of Human Rights also has the responsibility of addressing Title VI/Civil Rights inquiries and complaints against the Arlington County Transit systems ART/STAR.

Human Rights Liaison

The Assistant County Manager for Human Rights, EEO, and ADA is the designated liaison for all minority communities, including LGBT, for matters of human rights.  You may contact the Human Rights Office for additional information.