What is PLACE?
A County government initiative to update the “Arlington Way” by expanding the ways in which our residents engage with each other and our government to enrich Arlington.
What is the goal?
- Reinvigorate the Arlington Way in key government decisions
- Strengthen participation, leaders and civic engagement and link them together
- Refine existing processes to ensure local leaders have more success in their interactions with County government.
- View the December 2012 report detailing accomplishments to date and future plans.
How do we get there?
- Offer regular civic engagement training for residents, commissioners and staff
- Find new ways to encourage persistent, thoughtful, constructive residents to engage in the continuing work of improving Arlington.
- Create a community map that captures the depth and breadth of Arlington’s groups, leagues, organizations and other entities.
- Engage in a community-wide conversation to develop a clear description of the Arlington Way, to energize civic decision-making processes.
- Understand, describe the role that each sector plays in achieving successful civil discourse.
- Build effective civic engagement into staff’s work and evaluation processes.
Who is involved?
- You, your family, your friends and your neighbors.
- Anyone, really, who lives, works, or owns a business in Arlington.
- Groups, organizations and individuals from every corner of the County and every walk of life.
- The County Board and County staff
To kick-off PLACE, Arlington County Board Chair Mary Hynes described the initiative, using a visual presentation.