From August 2019 through December 2020, Arlington County will host 19 events to commemorate the 19th Amendment and the brave women who fought for and earned their right to vote in the United States. This initiative is brought to you by several Arlington County employee resource groups, departments and community partners. Learn more about this initiative on the Library 19th Amendment page.
Over 5 million women (and many men) struggled for 72 years to win the right to vote for women, which culminated in the passage of the 19th Amendment in 1920. The 19th Amendment guaranteed women a specific equal right in the U.S. Constitution for the first time and caused the greatest expansion of democracy on a single day in our nation’s history. Yet few Americans know this story and how difficult it was to achieve success. Follow us over the next year as we commemorate the brave women who fought for and earned their right to vote in the United States.
Date: March 4
Location: Lobby, 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201
Celebrate the role of cooking in securing the right to vote by browsing this pop-up shop of Arlington’s small business bakers, including BAKT by Ingrid, Dama Bakery, Livin the Pie Life, PinUp Preserves, Good Company Doughnuts, Bayou Bakery and Taste of Eurasia. This special Made in Arlington Pop-up Shop is open on the first floor from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Date: March 5 – April 2, 2020
Location: Central Library
Exhibition opening Thursday, March 5, 6:30 p.m., followed by an author talk with featured guest Liza Mundy, author of “Code Girls.”
Date: April 29, 2020
Location: County Board Room, 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201
The Summit will include a keynote address by former Arlington County Manager Barbara Donnellan, interactive workshops, a panel on action-oriented professional and community leadership, a resource fair and optional mentoring sessions. For more information please contact Krysta Jones at email@example.com.
- Event List as of 10/17/2019 (subject to change)
- August 26, 2019 – Iron Jawed Angels film screening – Central Library
- September 25, 2019 – Women of Color Youth Career Day
- October 17, 2019 – Women Suffragists and the Men Who Supported Them
- October 18, 2019 – Women’s History Trivia Night – Central Library
- November 2019 – Women’s Crafts
- December 11, 2019 – Speak, Participate, Advocate: Learn to Run an Issue Campaign and Effect Change
- January 21, 2020 – WoW Contingent at Women’s March 2020
- January 31, 2020 – Tea Time Conversations: Coralie Franklin and Nannie Helen Burroughs
- Didn’t make it? Watch the video.
- February 2020 – Black History Month Proclamation
- February 28, 2020 – Suffragist Sash-Making
- March 4, 2020 – Suffragist Bake Sale
- March 5, 2020 – Author Talk with Lisa Mundy (author of Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II)
- March 5 – April 2 – “Women’s Work: Then & Now” Exhibition at Central Library
- March 2020 – Unveiling of Elizabeth Campbell’s Desk and Chair
- March 18, 2020 – The Struggle for Women’s Suffrage
- March 31, 2020 – Women’s History Month Proclamation with Kathrine Switzer
- April 29, 2020 – Women’s Leadership Summit
- May 17, 2020 – Girls on the Run 5k
- May 2020 – Walking Tour of Arlington Arts
- July 2020 – Title IX and Pay Equity with Rose Lavelle
- August 2020 – Women’s Work
- September 2020 – Yoga Inspired by Sculpture
- October 14, 2020 – Elaine Weiss
- November 2020 – Post-Election Forum
- December 2020 – Time Capsule & Blanket Donation