From August 2019 through December 2020, Arlington County will host 19 events to commemorate the 19th Amendment and the brave women who fought for and earned their right to vote in the United States. This initiative is brought to you by several Arlington County employee resource groups, departments and community partners. Learn more about this initiative on the Library 19th Amendment page.
Over 5 million women (and many men) struggled for 72 years to win the right to vote for women, which culminated in the passage of the 19th Amendment in 1920. The 19th Amendment guaranteed women a specific equal right in the U.S. Constitution for the first time and caused the greatest expansion of democracy on a single day in our nation’s history. Yet few Americans know this story and how difficult it was to achieve success. Follow us over the next year as we commemorate the brave women who fought for and earned their right to vote in the United States.
Date: June 30, 2020 – 10 a.m.
A virtual presentation by former Arlington County Manager Barbara Donnellan.
Date: July 1, 2020 – 11 a.m.
Join this discussion with local county and community leaders to discuss their leadership experiences and how they are leading through these changing times.
- Event List as of 10/17/2019 (subject to change)
- August 26, 2019 – Iron Jawed Angels film screening – Central Library
- September 25, 2019 – Women of Color Youth Career Day
- October 17, 2019 – Women Suffragists and the Men Who Supported Them
- October 18, 2019 – Women’s History Trivia Night – Central Library
- November 2019 – Women’s Crafts
- December 11, 2019 – Speak, Participate, Advocate: Learn to Run an Issue Campaign and Effect Change
- January 21, 2020 – WoW Contingent at Women’s March 2020
- January 31, 2020 – Tea Time Conversations: Coralie Franklin and Nannie Helen Burroughs
- Didn’t make it? Watch the video.
- February 2020 – Black History Month Proclamation
- February 28, 2020 – Suffragist Sash-Making
- March 4, 2020 – Suffragist Bake Sale
- March 5, 2020 – Author Talk with Lisa Mundy (author of Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II)
- March 5 – April 2 – “Women’s Work: Then & Now” Exhibition at Central Library
- March 2020 – Unveiling of Elizabeth Campbell’s Desk and Chair
- June 30, 2020 – The Pathway to Leadership Runs Through Our Community
- July 1, 2020 – Leading Through Change
- August 2020 – Women’s Work
- September 2020 – Yoga Inspired by Sculpture
- October 14, 2020 – Elaine Weiss
- November 2020 – Post-Election Forum
- December 2020 – Time Capsule & Blanket Donation