- Customer must fill out an application and pay applicable water service connection and infrastructure availability fees to the Department of Environmental Services (DES), 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1000, Arlington, VA 22201. A copy of the approved land development plan showing the proposed meter location must be submitted with the application. New water service is required for all proposed construction that requires a separate service. Limited reuse of an existing service is allowed in cases where the service is less than 10 years old and appropriately sized for the new building, as determined by the County.
- If a new water main in the street is required to serve the building, it must be installed and approved for service. This includes chlorination, pressure testing and bacteriological testing. We allow developers to install all water services from developer-installed water mains. Contact us for details.
- If a new sanitary sewer main in the street is required to serve the building, it must be installed and approved for service. This includes alignment inspection and infiltration tests.
- Construction and maintenance of sewer services (sanitary laterals) from the building to the sanitary sewer main are the responsibility of the property owner and must be in place and approved for service by the Inspection Services Division.
- For water service 2 inches or smaller, the curb and gutter at the proposed meter location must be in place with a stake in the ground marking the proposed location of the meter behind the curb. The meter location must agree with that shown on approved building plans, and the area must be clear and finished to grade. The contractor must mark with a stake in the ground the location of existing sanitary sewer lateral.
- For water service 3 inches or larger, to be installed in a vault, the curb and gutter, if not existing, must be adequately staked out by the developer to allow for proper meter installation by the County. The meter location must agree with that shown on the approved building plans, and the area must be clear and finished to grade.
- After installation of the water service and crock meter by the County, the customer’s plumber must connect the public service to the owner’s side of the meter and make sure the main valve inside the house or building is in the off position.
- After the service connection is made, the customer must call DES at 703-228-6570 and request the water service be activated. Then, County staff will install the meter. The utility account will be activated upon this request and will be billed for water/sewer and refuse service if applicable.
- For house additions in which an upgrade of the water service is required, (refer to Section C of the residential building permit), the applicant is responsible for upgrading the water service line from the house to the meter box prior to installation of the water service.
Sanitary sewer laterals that run from a dwelling to the County sewer main are privately owned and maintained. Call 703-228-3677 for more information on sewer laterals. The sanitary sewer mains to which the laterals connect are County-owned and -maintained.
Rates and Fees
Water/Sewer Rates and Fees
The charge for water/sewer service is based on water consumption as shown by periodic readings of property water meters.
- Water Rate: $4.53 per 1,000 gallons of metered water consumption.
- Sewer Rate: $9.09 per 1,000 gallons of metered water consumption.
- There’s a 6 percent late charge rate on outstanding balances of water/sewer and refuse collection accounts; the charge is added onto the next bill.
- The charge for new water service is $25. There’s a reactivation charge of $25 per request.
- The charge for DFU inspections is $175 for one to 24 fixtures, and $275 for 25 or more fixtures.
- The charge for fire flow tests is $300.
Infrastructure Availability Fees
- Water Services: $85 per DFU.
- Sewer Services: $115 per DFU.
- It’s illegal to connect a structure to the County water or sanitary sewer system without paying an infrastructure availability fee.
- It’s illegal to install additional plumbing fixtures in a structure already connected to the County water or sanitary sewer system without paying an infrastructure availability fee.
Infrastructure availability fees must be paid before a building permit can be issued — or a plumbing permit, if no building permit is required — or according to regulations pursuant to Arlington County Code Chapter 26-3. The fee will be in accordance with the rate schedule in force at the time of the issuance of the permit.
Service Connection Charges
|Service Connection Size||Meter Size||County Connection Charge (as of July 1, 2008)*
||Developer-Installed Connection Charge (as of July 1, 2008)*
|1 1/2”||1 1/2”||$4,600.00||$300.00|
|*Developer-installed connection charges apply in cases where the developer is required to install a new water main and services.|
Water Service Discontinuation Charge: The charge to discontinue a public water service is $500.
Meter Box Relocation Charge: The charge to relocate a meter box 2 inches and smaller in size and 5 feet or less in distance is $1,000. For meter relocations greater than 5 feet, a new water service charge and discontinuation charge for the existing service are required.
The above fee rates are effective as of May 1, 2017