Follow our blog for dataset announcements.
|Title||Arlington County Tow Data|
Arlington County Tow trucks are required to call in tresspass tow information prior to towing a vehicle. This data is stored at the Office of Emergency Management and I have twice obtained this data via a FOIA request. Unfortunately, the data is in the form of scanned printouts and is not machine-readable, greatly compromising the value of the data. I would like this data to be available in machine-readable format, in a format like XML or CSV. Private information like license plates or VINs, of course, should be scrubbed prior to publication. Publication should be regular - on a monthly or even weekly basis - to get the most value out of it.
I intend to use the data to produce a map similar to http://advancedtowing-fraud/map3.html, plotting the number of tows per business within a specific time period. That current site is only using April 2016 data and is just a prototype, as I had to manually enter the 1,600 tow incidents by hand from printed pieces of paper provided from the FOIA request.
This data will be useful for a variety of reasons:
|County Staff Notes|
Initial research being done to determine if datasets meet the open data request requirements
- Received: awaiting review
- Under Review: under consideration to assess availability and appropriateness of making public
- Approved: accepted for public access and being prepared
- Duplicate: addressed by another dataset or request
- Rejected: determined to be ineligible for open data access
- Published: available in the open data portal