You can expect congestion, delays and detours on Inauguration Day.
- Best way to get to Inaugural events: take public transportation (expanded service), bike or walk.
- No long term parking in Arlington. Be sure to plan ahead.
Road, Bridge Closures and Restrictions
- I-395 HOV northbound lanes will close at 3 a.m. on January 20. HOV lanes on I-395 will re-open southbound at the end of the Inaugural address.
- I-395 main lanes and I-66 will be open to all traffic.
14th Street Bridge; Teddy Roosevelt Bridge
- All traffic will be diverted by MPD onto the Southeast/Southwest freeway beginning at 5:30 a.m.
- Traffic coming across the Roosevelt Bridge will be diverted into northbound Potomac River Expressway to Pennsylvania Avenue or Whitehurst Freeway/K Street.
Key Bridge; Chain Bridge
- Open to all traffic
- Restricted to pedestrians and authorized vehicles only through midnight on Saturday.
Advice for the Day
- Be prepared for congestion, delays and detours.
- Heavy volume is expected on roads, bridges and highways across the region.
- If you must drive, be sure to have a full tank of gas before you leave, or you may become stranded while waiting in traffic.